I bought an iPad just a few days ago and I had the chance to play with it for more than a few hours. To be honest it wasn't easy to get an opinion at first.
It is obvious that the machine is well designed, looks great and is easy to use. There are 2 things that jump out as soon as you turn the iPad on:
- Opening and closing applications is very fast.
- The battery lasts more than 10 hours of intense use.
- The OS is a complete new paradigm where there is no file manager, complex settings and technical knowledge required.
- The integration of the OS and the online stores is just a great thing: Apple managed to get millions of users, developers and content providers. Now everybody tries to have the same but the results are not as successful.
- The Apps. This is something that we know developers like to do. Even in the times of the Palm we were able to get inexpensive applications that more than complex where useful. The same thing happens here. The mix of a powerful machine as the iPad and the value offered by the previous too points is the key: the potential to have easy to use, useful and great looking applications for almost everything.
- Looks like not all USB ports are capable of charging the iPad battery.
- The screen tends to be dirty
- The Wifi version does not include full GPS capabilities.